Sunday 23 June 2013

Best Flapjack Recipe

For years, I tried to make flapjacks but they were either too dry or too soggy. I never seemed to get it right no matter how many times I tried or how many different recipes I tested. I have a friend from university who makes flapjack and seems to get it right every time and I never heard the end of it from my children. They were constantly asking why I couldn't make flapjack like her and could they go and visit her (a two hour drive away). Luckily, I found a recipe that worked about two years ago and now they ask for my flapjacks (phew). This recipe works every time and I always get positive comments. So if you've been having trouble with getting your oats to stick together or your flapjack felt like sawdust in your mouth, this is the recipe for you. I always make a double batch for the week as my DS uses them as his energy fuel but this is the recipe for one batch.

Melt 175g of butter or marg (I used Pure margerine) in a saucepan. Add
2tbsp golden syrup
175g Demerara sugar

Melt over a medium heat and stir well. Remove from the heat and add 225g of rolled oats. I sometimes find that this isn't enough oats and so I add a bit more. This time I added some sultanas and dried cranberries. Spoon to mixture into a baking tin and spread it out evenly. Place the baking tin in an oven heated to 170 degrees centigrade and cook for 15 minutes until the oats are golden brown. Remove from the oven and mark into slices. Leave to cool completely before placing in an air tight container.




1 comment:

  1. I love flapjacks, yours look great. I found your blog on Market Yourself Monday.

    ReplyDelete