Sunday 2 June 2013

Granola for a healthy breakfast

I'm trying to have a healthier start in the morning. During the holidays, I've been having toast with homemade jam and fresh strawberries - yummy, but not particularly healthy. So, I decided to make some granola. I couldn't remember where I found the recipe I used last time so I decided to google one and this is what I came up with. I'm always worried about the amount of fat and sugar that goes into a granola but this recipe didn't seem too bad. This was the original recipe:

4 cups of rolled oats
2 cups of nuts and seeds
1 cup of dried fruit
1/2 a cup of sweetener
1/2 a cup of oil
pinch of salt

Place the oil and sweetener into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, mix together the oats and chopped nuts with a pinch of salt. Mix the liquid with the dry ingredients and spread out onto a baking tray. Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Leave to cool, mix in the chopped dried fruit, then place in a air tight container.

I decided to tweak the recipe slightly. I used honey from a jar I found tucked at the back of the cupboard. I had to microwave it (without the lid on of course) as much of the honey had crystallised and turned solid. I also only used 1 cup of nuts. I had a basket of nuts left over from Christmas so I cracked most of those open and then found a bag of fruit and nut (in the back of another cupboard) which had just reached its sell by date. This is the end result



I'm planning on eating this for breakfast with yoghurt, fresh strawberries and blueberries. I'm hoping this will work as a slow release food so I won't need to reach for the flapjack mid morning. I don't know about you, but I have a terrible time persuading the rest of my family that this is a healthy start to the day so this batch of granola will probably last me quite a while.

Update - I was featured on The Crafty Blog Stalker so now even more people can make some healthy breakfast.

by The Crafty Blog Stalker

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing on Blog Stalking Thursday! I have featured your recipe on Blog Stalking Thursday Features YOU! The post is going live later tonight. I would love for you to stop by and grab a feature button. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete